Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'm Lonely and Some Kinder Updates!

I HATE when David is gone! I miss visiting with him every night about our day. I simply miss his presence in our home. I quickly forget the comfort, the protection, the companionship and the laughter that he offers. And of course I miss his hugs and kisses:) I am so ready for him to get home!!

On another note-I can not believe we are getting closer to the end of the year. Malaya has grown so much this year. Yes, she has gotten taller and more beautiful:) but her brain just amazes me!! Her knowledge has just exploded this year. She is reading and she knows how to add and subtract. (she counts mostly with her fingers which drives me crazy but I am constantly assured that is normal and okay)! She has loved learning about animals, indians, farmers, and so many other things. I applaud her teacher. She has been a fabulous teacher. I began praying many years ago for her future teachers. Last year Malaya and I prayed about it every night. God answered that prayer with precious Miss Rhodes. She is a Christian. She loves the children. She has just an amazing heart. I have loved being her Room Mom. God has also taught Malaya a lot this year about being a friend. As you could see in early kinder year blogs we had a few bumps in this area. But I have seen significant improvement. I am so proud of her. She is having a friend over to our house today and then she is going to another friend's house tomorrow! I have heard her ask kids in her class before if they believe in Jesus and if they go to church. I think it was a shock to her at first that not everyone did but I am trying to hammer her with the fact that it is those kids that God wants you to love. It has been such a lesson and example to me to attempt to teach her about her "mission field". She is a leader in her class. She likes to be in charge and have all the ideas of what to play and how to direct the other kids. That will be a continual thing that we are practicing on balancing:)
Another issue that has been interesting for me to deal with this year is Malaya's sense of style. I have watched another Godly friend deal with her daughter on this issue and b/c of her great example, I have attempted to be a little more linient than I have been in the past. Let me say I am the farthest thing from being a stylish/trendy person but having a daughter, you do want them to look cute and yes I'll say it- trendy! But this past year or so Malaya's idea of this and my idea of this is quite different. The past few months Malaya has taken charge of her own "hair care"-washing of, brushing of, STYLING of...It is always quite interesting. In the beginning I felt the need to explain to others of "the look" but I have quit that. It is always interesting to say the least.
She loves to wear jewelry which is not me AT ALL!! Putting a simple t-shirt on or a sweat shirt (my daily attire) is just horrible.
I know in later years some moral issues will enter in to this subject of dressing but for now I like to see her personality bloom through her sense of style. She makes me laugh!
I am anxious to see what else God has in store for our kindergarten year. He truly never fails to make me laugh at the marvelous way He works!!

5 comments:

Pearson Family said...

Malaya has such a sweet spirit and spunk! I love Malaya's hair creations, and have missed them lately. I can't wait until we get back into the swing of things again. David will be home soon. Hang in there.

Amber Smith said...

It is always interesting to read what Malaya is doing and also to know what is in store for us in about a year or so. I think it is great that you give her the freedom to fix her own hair. I would love to see pictures of some of her unique hairstyles.

I think it is so neat that you are working with her on how she can minister to others, even while she is so young. It is amazing what a difference God can make using a little girl (especially one who is a born leader like Malaya) to share Him and His ways with others. I always love reading your stories!

Hope David comes home very soon. I am always SO ready for Josh to get home when he has been gone any length of time. Love ya!

Melanie said...

Richard is getting ready to start midnight shift and I am really dreading it! So I definitely understand. I love to hear Malaya's hair experiences! Ashlyn tries so hard to do it herself too. I so don't want to deflate her little spirit, but sometimes I have to leave the room for laughing would be so awful! Love you guys!

Bev Ross said...

She is my little darling! What a total delight!
I'm glad you don't make excuses for her latest hairstyles! She is gifted in her own unique special, special way!

Phillips Family said...

Malaya was sporting some pretty cool boots the other Sunday morning! I think it is so great that you are encouraging her creativity--this will be such a blessing to her as she grows older and her creativity is channeled into something. We are always home--call or stop by anytime you are feeling lonely!