Monday, January 16, 2006

Does God.........?

Malaya is on a "kick" right now of asking questions that begin with Does God...? Here are some examples:
"Does God make hurricanes?"
"Did God make Papa have back surgery?"
"Does God get mad at us?"
"Does God not want you to have more babies?" (I know, I know... boo-hoo but really I kind of giggled-no melt down:)
"Is God mean?"
"Can God stop the devil?"

Heavy, huh?? Maybe some of you have great answers to the above and if you do please leave your advice but I find myself stumbling over my words. We have always taught Malaya that their are 2 powers fighting for her life, God and Satan. When she was very little we disciplined her often by asking her, "Who are you pleasing with that choice, God or the devil." And we love making God happy and we still stomp our feet when we please the devil and say "Oh, man. Let's not make him happy again. "She has always been very aware of Satan's activity and God's activity in her life and she is pretty good at distinguishing the two in her day to day life as far as when she does good and when she does bad- but as she is getting older the questions are becoming bigger and heavier as you see. Some are easier to answer than others and I have become pretty good at saying, "I just don't know but I know God is perfect!" or "Malaya, I will pray and think about that question and get back to you." (Sometimes in the back of my head hoping she'll forget, which she never does, so I know I have to keep my word. What a challenge!

God teaches us so much about faith through our children. Sometimes just knowing that God IS and that He DOES and that He has already won the victory over the devil has to be good enough.
__________________________________________

Malaya started dance today!! It was so much fun to watch her! She has always danced around the house and put on shows for me and David but I didn't know how she would act with strangers and room of peers. She was in heaven. She loved the tap and ballet. But I think her favorite part was when they got to do an interpretive dance to a story. It was the cutest thing ever. All shyness was out the door. She was floating and shaking her...no not that:)... streamers in the air. I am waiting to hear, "Mom, I was made to dance."

3 comments:

Amber Smith said...

You have so many good ideas! I think it is great that Malaya is thinking about God so much. She is learning to know God. No advice for you. I think you are doing such a great job planting those seeds. I am proud of you! Keep these stories coming. It helps me to hear how you handle these things, knowing that some of them are right around the corner! Love you!

Bev Ross said...

I certainly know the blessing of watching the next generation learn about God's existence and ask the hard questions. I am delighted to have someone just like you raising my precious little grand one! Thanks for sharing her antics and in sharing your wisdom!

Melanie said...

Okay, here's some answers to the two questions that Ashlyn has asked as well< Is God Mean?, I told her that sometimes she thinks Mommy and Daddy are mean but we are just wanting what's best for her and sometimes God is the same way. He just wants what is best for us even though sometimes it seems unfair. And does God stop the devil?> He can and he's going to sometime hopefully soon! But until then God wants us to pick him over the devil! He wants us to choose what's right over what's bad! So, that's what we told her. There are so many liitle questions that I have to really think and take my time with her. I want her to ask anything she wants and I don't want to discourage her even though I too tell her a lot that I don't know. Sometimes she even comes up with her own answers after she thinks about it for a while. And they are sometimes better than any answer I could have given her! And send pictures of her in dance!!! (Ebay has great dance attire!!)