Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thoughts on Prayer

Here are a few quotes I have been compiling about prayer. Of course most of them are thoughts of humans but there is still something to learned by the words. I hope some of them touch you in some way:)

"It is not prayer which draws Jesus into our hearts. Nor is it our prayer which moves Jesus to come in to us. All He needs is access. He enters in of His own accord, because he desires to come in. And He enters in wherever he is not denied admittance." O. Hallesby

"If our petitions are in accordance with His will, and if we seek His glory in the asking, the answers will come in ways that will astonish us and fill our hearts with songs of thanksgiving." J.K. Maclean (I love the part about that the answers will astonish us. AMEN AND AMEN!!)

"Our faith in prayer can be no passing attitude that changes with the wind or with our own feelings and circumstances; it must be a faact that God hears and answers, that His ear is ever open to the cry of His children, and that the power to do what is asked of Him is commensurate with His willingness." E.M. Bounds

"In God's name, I beseech you, let prayer nourish your soul as your meals nourish your body. Let your fixed seasons of prayer keep you in God's presence through the day, and His presence frequently remembered though it be an ever-fresh spring of prayer." E.M. Bounds

"One night alone in prayer might make us new men, changed from poverty of soul to spiritual wealth, from trembling to triumphing." C.H. Spurgeon

"If I am a Christian, I am not set on saving my own skin, but on seeing that the salvation of God comes through me to others, and the great way is by intercession." Oswald Chambers

"You will find when you search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

"In the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee." Psalm 5:3

"If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in." Revelation 3:20

"We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers." I Thessalonians 1:2

Well, that is probably enough for now. God has really been teaching me through many ways just how powerful prayer is. I am in the "preschool" stages of learning. So bring on the learning:)

Have a great week, blog friends!

5 comments:

Amber Smith said...

I really like the Spurgeon quote. A night spent alone in prayer really does change us, renew us, and give us confidence. Thanks for sharing!

Amy C said...

I think I need you to pray for me that I will pray more. I need one of those nights alone in prayer.

Lauren said...

Jenny,

I found your blog months ago and I am blessed every single time I read it. It is always such an encouragement in my daily walk. You really struck a chord and a passion in me with your quotes on prayer, I am an avid quote collector, and I also am passionate ahout how to enjoy a rich, intimate, and soul-satisfying prayer life with Christ. Continue to bless and edify others with your life.
Lauren Cunningham

Melanie said...

The spurgeon quote is probably my favorite as well. I'm definitely with Amber on the confidence part. Joy comes in the morning.

Unknown said...

I like the verse in Jeremiah. Thanks for sharing your quotes.