Monday, March 06, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Well, tomorrow is my mom's birthday! We get to celebrate the birth of Beverly Joann (Jones) Ross. The world has never been the same:) Here are some of my prized memories and things I love and appreciate about my mom!
One of my favorite things to do with my mom when I was little was work puzzles. My mom had me working 100 piece puzzles at a very early age. When my brothers took naps, working puzzles was our special time together. I loved seeing my mom be involved at my school. Mom never missed a field trip, concert, recital, etc. I loved that she taught my Bible classes, VBS and more. I remember listening to her with her friends as she would laugh with them, cry with them, listen to them, pray with them, etc. Her mama claws whipped out very seldom but when they did-watch out!! I rode the bus ONE time when I was in Kinder. I wanted the bus driver to look at my work I had done that day. She wouldn't look at my work and told me to go sit down. I NEVER rode the bus again:) My mom had firm yet stable and consistent discipline. There was never much question what was accepted in our home and what wasn't. I loved reading books with my mom. I think we read Go Dog, Go at least a million times in my lifetime. Mom challenged us academically to always do our best. She encouraged me to be a reader, which is one of my favorite things to do to this day!
When my first boyfriend broke up with me of course I was devestated!! My mom slept right beside me that night. She knew my little heart would mend but she let me know I was not alone. She always encouraged us to stand up for what was right and pure. Before we ever went out on dates or out with friends her last words would be, "Remember WHO'S you are!!" And of course many times we forgot who's we were but Mom was always there to forgive, accept and encourage us on our journey. She encouraged us to never stop seeking God. Her heart and arms were always full of love. My friends and boyfriends loved coming to my house just to visit with her. She could encourage and find a gift in the scummiest of scum. I mean that in a nice way:) I remember a few friends who came in our home (mine and brothers included) who were making horribles decisions in their life and living their lives in junky ways and after a time with Mom, they would feel convicted and sorry yet be so rejuvenated about their life. She believed in them. She has gerat vision of looking past people's dirt and seeing the beauty of God.
As I went off to college, my mom and I developed a real friendship. She was the one I would call and gush about David. I brought home a few stinkin' boys but Mom loved David from the first minute. She and David had a connection immediately. She and I worked so hard on our wedding. We made so many great memories during those 6 months. (She has a notebook about 4 inches thick if anyone needs any research for caterers, decorators, florists, bakers, etc.)
David and I called she and Dad first to tell them we were pregnant with Malaya. We made up a little riddle and it took them a minute to let it sink in that they were going to be grandparents. And so began her role as Grammy. She is a great Grammy!! She was in the room when she was born. I LOVED her presence there. I even was okay with the fact that the second Malaya was born she dropped my hand and went to grab her granddaughter. I never saw her again for the next few hours:) The nurse kept telling her nicely to let go of Malaya's hand but Mom would just so very confidently say, "She needs me." And of course did not let go:) Malaya and her have a very special bond. They "get each other". They are very similar in a lot of ways, ways I am not. They are both social butterflies. They love to talk. I LOVE it when I am in the car with the 2 of them and they want to play the Quiet game. Bottom's up, I win every time. I think the longest game ever has been about 5 seconds. They like to be prissy together. They just love being together.
Thank you Mom for always being a source of strength. Thank you for being bold. Thank you for not being afraid of confrontation and standing for the truth.
Thanks Mom for also battling for us kids in prayer since the time we were conceived. God has blessed your faithfulness in many ways. Thank you for praying for our future mates (we all got gifts from those devoted prayers.) Thank you for praying for our souls. Thank your for praying dangerous prayers and asking God to do whatever it takes in our lives to make us like Him. Thanks for spending hours on your knees for us. Thanks for your bold teaching and example. Thanks for your constant redirection to God's word. Thanks for setting us on a path to Jesus even when at times you had to snap our heads into that direction. Thanks for always letting me cry and whine to you about life. Thank you for sacrificing my heart to the Lord. Thanks for reminders of our focus and our goal. Thanks for teaching us about purity, holiness, love, forgiveness, devotion, and perseverence. Thanks for being my friend and one of my closest confidants. Thanks for being a loyal friend to so many over the years. I have seen people become closer to Jesus because of your listening ear, your compassion, your teaching, your prayer and your counsel. Thank you for being a willing vessel of Jesus. Thank you for living your life so selflessly. Thank you for letting me continue to learn and grow from you. You are a constant source of advice and counsel in marriage, parenting, relationships, and life in general.
Thank you Mom for living your life to please Jesus. Thank you for living your life to smell like him, to look like him and to sound like him. Thank you for being one of the biggest blessings in my life.
Happy Birthday Mom. Thanks for being you!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Beverly!

Bev Ross said...

Jenny, what a precious gift! I'll write more when I am done crying - crocodile tears of joy! You are truly a rich, rich blessing in my life and for my heart! I love you, precious daughter! I love you!

Rick Ross said...

Jenny,

You nailed it, girl! Thanks for such a beautiful tribute to your mother.

Amy C said...

I think your mom did a perfect job of captivating your heart. Happy Birthday Beverly. Could you every recieve a better gift!?!

Phillips Family said...

Happy 31st Birthday, Beverly!

Pearson Family said...

Wow Jenny, what a special mom you have and thank you for sharing her with us! Happy Birthday Bevie!

Amber Smith said...

Happy Birthday Beverly! Jenny, you are truly blessed.

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Beverly! You are just like a 2nd mom to me! Thanks for your example...Hugs! Holly