Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Realization!

Last night I had one of those moments as a parent when you realize that time is so fleeting. As David and I were praying last night he worded something in his prayer that hit home. He was praising God that Malaya so much desires to spend time and have relationship with he and I. (This was coming off of the fact that Malaya had been begging David for weeks to take her to Cabela's and walk around.) Last night he took her out and they spent some special time at Cabela's. And then he said the heart piercing thing - That there will come a day or phase when she we will not be the first people at the top of her list to spend time with or if she desires it at all. The words took my breath away for a second as I remembered how many times that day Malaya had asked me to play Barbie's with her. It took me forever to sit down with her. So as of today I am going to be much more intentional about spending as much special time as possible with my daughter so that one day when her life does involve a lot of other people, I will still have the memories of working puzzles, reading books, watching movies, playing Barbies, Polly Pockets, dressing dolls, playing house and school, dancing with her, riding bikes, going to the park, etc.

And then I remind myself--she is 5 (about to be 6). I think I still have a few more years in the bag:)

5 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminder. It is easy to get busy and not realize the blessing of our kids wanting to be with us. Sometimes I can forget that blessing and feel like I have other things that I have to do. Thanks for helping me remember that those years are fleeting.

Jennifer Ross said...

That is TOUGH!!!!!
You are an AMAZING mom and that is great reminder to live intentionally!
Blessings!

Unknown said...

Good to remember for when I am so sick of playing Buzz Lightyear or reading Toy Story for the 2000th time.

Bev Ross said...

It is a gift to watch the two of you parent! Malaya is a joy and always creates memories!

Kim Q. said...

You know I remember John asking me(when he was my only) how long is a minute? and when I told him, then he asked well, how long is 5 min? I said oh, just a little longer...why? his reply ripped through my heart...They seem like the same amount a time mommy...What do you mean I asked...well, everytime you say just a minute, or hold on, give me 5 minutes...they always seem like the same amount of time...VERY LONG! So...to help me balance my time with him among all my other "important duties" I got an egg timer...He was so thrilled! He would ALWAYS set it when I told him hang on just a minute or so on... Talk about accountability, priority check, and intergrity! whew! We learned together to make our words be true..plus we learned that there really was a difference between 1 min and 5 min! Very significant prayer request to ask for everyday..for our valuables to be valued!